Bogturtle's Garden- August 16 to end
A new solar powered camera and bird feeder has captured many videos and photos. This shows a Black Capped Chickadee with a black Sunflower Seed. Other videos are to big for blogger
The only Euphorbia marginata or Snow on the Mountain that grew, for some reason. But it is perfect. I should have lots of seed to plant for next Summer.
An old Cottage Garden plant, although a midwest native, to my knowledge. I recall it from the garden the nurses planted, that our windows overlooked. The nurses actually lived in the building, with the hospital just across the street from their home.
Moonflower, or what I think is Ipomea alba, is another annual vine I save seeds from, and plant the next year. The first photo is of the flower as it has opened, at night. Generally, I assume, pollinated by moths. And after one night, it slumps and fades, as the second photo shows at 8:30 AM. On the web there is probably a time lapse of the flower opening. This happens so fast you can almost detect it, just sitting there and watching it. It starts at the days end and if fully in bloom, with each flower lasting only that night. A flower of about 4" in diameter.
Sidalcea malviflora, the Checkerbloom, appears to be a West Coast wildflower. I have the white type. One source says it's perennial, I do save the seed. A foot or so tall, with flowers less than 1 1/2 inches across. This is blooming in one of the pots at the end of the crescent shaped bed for the roses. Others are planted, but are hardly growing. I will use a different soil in all my pots, next Summer. The soil was labeled for lawns, and may inhibit other plants. They have grown hardly at all this season.
Not one of the Heavenly Blue has bloomed so far. Maybe none will. But that sort never seems to set seed for me. Knowlians Black faithfully comes back, true to color, as this pink has. A surprise. And, of course, the strange little orange Morning Glory, called Orange Noah, is unlikely to cross-pollinate, as is the Moonflower. Another almost true blue sort blooms on the fence around the vegetable garden. That comes back like a wild Morning Glory, so I don't save seed.
Color from Four-O'Clocks, Knockout Roses, some Moss Roses, Portulaca, and the white from the Snow-on-The Mountain.
I really do hope I get seed. A noteable shortage of pollinating insects, of all sorts, in my opinion, in the last year or so.

The Sidalcea malviflora is beautiful.
ReplyDeleteOne would suppose all a person needs to do is plant the seeds and make sure the plants are watered. Here, I had to faithfully spray deer repellent, after any rain. How do such plants manage in the wild? Maybe they are so many the deer cannot munch on them all, and here the white flower, standing out, gets their notice and curiosity. They ate the buds on my white blooming Obedient Plant, in a nearby pot, also.
ReplyDelete