Bogturtle's Garden- August 16-end, 2024


Ordering seed, I saw this particular Cosmo. In life a good deal more wine colored than pink, and I wish the camera was more accurate. The plants are tall and weak and have not made a good display, but individual blooms are great. So the best use would be for cut flowers, I suppose. Will order the seed again, perhaps, if none forms.

Trying to trap the Groundhog. And that succeeded. But one of the traps still had some several day old pieces of apple. Fortunately, I was able to get this Opossum out of the trap without much fuss. 


My grandson gave me some Amaranth plants that he thought would give seed I could use as a grain. I asked, instead, if I would get seed for the birds. Apparently that could happen.  


 I have a video of the Groundhog in this trap, and this is a snip of that video, as this format will not publish a  20 second long video. I had not seen the Groundhog  for weeks, but it ran across my feet, to get into the safety of the barn when I passed the door. It hid under the half of the barn floor that is cement, which might harbor Raccoons or Skunks, in times past. So happy that the animal was trapped, exported to a wildlife area, several miles away. Only to see another run across the lawn. Back to trapping. 



This ' BeeBalm' is not my frequently seen 'Gardenway Scarlet'. Not as tall, and said to be much more mildew resistant, with smaller blooms but the same color.

Does not seem I would ever order this pink Phlox. But plants show up unexpectantly, when other plants are ordered. At any rate, it is doing well in the main perennial bed between where we park the vehicles and the above ground pool.


This Rose, called 'Winner's Circle' is as tough as any of the Knockout Roses, but was sold to me as a climber. It dominates an end post on the fence that surrounds the pool deck. Absolutely trouble free, though very thorny.


The hybrid Trumpet Vine, 'Madam Galen', with American and Chinese species in its ancestory, was one of the first vines I planted here. Always thought it beautiful. But it is a thug, seeding about and overwhelming neighbors. So I eradicated the one close to my chimney, but planted this, hoping it would climb the Holly at the end of the pool. Instead, it has creeped into the neighboring Prunus mume and its neighbors. Glad to see the flowers, but not as planned at all.


Another photo of Ceratostigma plumbagenoides, the Leadwort. One of the best, sun tolerating ground covers, and with true blue flowers. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bogturtle's Garden- November 2023

Bogturtles Garden- October 2023

Bogturtle's Garden- February 2024