Bogturtle's Garden- August 1-15, 2024

 


Malva moschata 'Alba'. Commonly called the 'Musk Mallow'. Had this plant for years. Found two among the jungle here and moved both to pots where they would get proper attention. A deer got to one, but that has regrown and, finally, bloomed. Growing, for me, less than two feet tall. One flower shown here, about an inch and a half wide. Usually an orchid or pink color, but I gravitate to the white, always. 



My daughter wanted flowers for a dinner they put together, so I brought in these 'Surprise Lillies', Lycoris squamigira. Cannot say how long they will last. 
Do recall a stranger picking Daylillies from the neighbor's yard. They knew little about Daylillies.


Along with the Agapanthus there are small Kale plants that, somehow, were not growing much in the protected vegetable garden with the 6 foot high fence. So they are on the landing, close to the kitchen, hopefully safe from Ground Hog, Deer, or Rabbit.


Taken through the window where we eat our meals. The effort to rejuvenate the circle, in the center of the lawn, seems to be really working well. The 'Happy Returns' Daylillies have always gotten tan edges to the leaves. We have had a lot of rain, and they have come back with no dried ends, and a scattering of rebloom. 4 young 'Tradition' Azaleas have been added to the large ones, and Hollytone has been fed them, to help them get the deep green they should show. There is a clear difference between some of the new Azaleas, as to how green they are. A good deal of prunings, etc. are available to shred to cover additional areas.


I am going to guess that the 'leadwort' is properly named Ceratostigma plumbagenoides. I wish it were the color in the photo, but it is still departed from the ubiquitous blue violet sold as blue. The flowers are really a fine cobalt blue, like some glass. A grand groundcover, while emerging amazingly late in the year.


This is my tree form Peegee Hydrangea, after working on it many years. And it does lean towards the Sun, while the one that inspired me, an hour away from here, does not. I surely am not like that notorious Japanese gardener, who never could appreciate his garden because it had even the slightest imperfection. I appreciate mine, and its a humongous mess. 


Dinner plate sized flowers on the Marshmallow.







Comments

  1. No surprise lilies here this year. Not sure why since last year when we had the extreme heat and drought they bloomed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weirdest thing. I can respond to comments on Microsoft edge, which I never use. Truly live in World I don't understand. Perhaps your surprise lilies are simply late. Now I will go back to my normal duck duck go, which I trust more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love plumbago but no luck growing it. I have tried twice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bogturtle's Garden- November 2023

Bogturtles Garden- October 2023

Bogturtle's Garden- February 2024