Bogturtle's Garden- July 16 to end, 2014

 Rudbeckia 'Goldstrum' or 'Goldstorm' is a vigorous plant and was quite dominant in this one corner of the garden. But I thinned it so vigorously that I almost lost it.  Glad to see some, and hope it regains territory.

Trumpet Flower 'Jersey Peach' again.


The 'Lamb's Ears' looked so good that I decided to photograph it again.


Of the many 'Marsh Mallows' I have purchased or started from seed, only this bubble gum pink remains. As big as a dinner plate, with many more to come. The Deer freely munch on them and this one would also be gone if not frequently sprayed with repellent. I guess they are safe, with roots in areas where backish tidal water, surely quite fresh, and not too salty, comes in.
Next to it was a weakly growing, typically red, more southern sort, Hibiscus coccinea, which I, accidentally, string trimmed and I have not, yet, sought out any left, that I could rescue.  Glad even to have found time and energy to string trim areas overtaken by weeds. Deer almost destroyed that red one and did eat the unusual white clone I had. Not amused by the damage they did and will continue to do, if allowed.

Lillium tigrinum, I guess. The Tiger Lily. Deer like this also. I have said, before, that naming it a tiger lily seems strange, as it is spotted, not striped. Easy to propogate, as small bulbils grow, one where each leaf joins the stem, and these may even form a rudimentary root, in case they drop off. A Chinese plant, I believe, and commonly traded from one cottage gardener to another, in the past.


All these years the almost circle in the middle of the lawn has been beautiful. Especially in Spring, with Rhododendron 'Iron Clad Red', pink Azalea 'Tradition' and white Azalea 'Double Gardenia'. But the Rhododendrons were allowed to become leggy, typical of that clone, the Azaleas had great dead areas, perhaps in response to drought, and Virginia Creeper (Woodbine), Japanese Honeysuckle and thorny Greenbrier or Smilax were rampant. 


Just cutting it all down seemed most sensible, but I had not the heart to cut out one thriving, bushy Azalea 'Tradition', and any 'Blushing Knockout' Roses. And I saw no reason to trim down the Epimedium. Yearly, the reblooming Daylily 'Happy Returns' always gets shabby, with what should be green leaves having discolored, dried out tips. Someone suggested that they could be cut to the ground, and they would regrow and bloom before Winter. And with lots of wood chips to put down, the Periwinkle and interlopers were trimmed down. The Daylilys are, already, full of new, emerging leaves and some buds.  Continued deer repellent spray and faithful watering may bring a nice display. A local nursery is planning to buy some 'Tradition' Azaleas and I may buy some for here and along the front walk. And the birdbath and pot could be adjusted to be not so wonky. All cut out will now be turned into mulch chips or shredded.


'Happy Returns' Daylily was trimmed down less than a week ago, and, already, some blooms are showing. Of course, they and the new leaves will be appetizing to the Deer. A constant consideration. Last year I had sprayed them and a fawn came up, sniffed one and jumped over a yard away. I say 'good!'. 


Physostegia virginiana, the Obedient Plant, and I chose the white flowered clone, rather than the normal pink. In among the perennials for years.  


Here are the fruiting stems of Arum italicum. This plant and the Lamb's Ears share the same square yard among the perennials. One for Winter and the other for Summer.


This is a non-vining Morning Glory, that has almost blue, violet blue blooms. Recently marketed as 'Blue Daze', this one was sold as 'Blue my mind. Properly, Evolulus glomeratus. 
Two, each in the two pots at the ends of the lens shaped bed that has the 'Red Knockout Roses', just outside the windows of the addition. If seeds form, I may save them.


Finally found time to take the Hen and Chicks, Semperviviums out of the broken strawberry jar and, with purchased new ones, fill the big jar I have had for a long time. Cannot recall where I bought the 3 little, definitely Chinese, turtles, designed just to do what they do
here.


Will certainly replace this little video with a better on, if I get it. The blur may be unavoidable, using the zoom on my little camera, but otherwise, I may be able to do better. This is a female Ruby-Throat. Our only eastern species. And probably the territorial female, as a pair pick an area and squabble with others to keep it. They all get quite annoyed at the other hummer they see reflected in the windows.
This feeder my daughter bought me did not seem to work at first,but it is really fine. Only a designer, who doesn't know about territorial Ruby-Throats, would design a feeder with more than two places to feed. Maybe others sorts are more sociable.  I had another feeder, but it did not have a very effective water area, to avoid ants. This has a reservoir right in the middle top.


The little landing on the addition is different, this summer. Herbs and vegetables easily available from the kitchen. But the one railing has Cleome 'Helen Campbell's Snow Crown', 'Heavenly Blue' Morning Glory, the strange little Morning Glory called 'Noah's Orange', and, I think, at least one Moonflower vine. Should look better and better.



The Marsh Mallow. For a person that does not gravitate towards pink flowers, I sure have a good many.



Quite a display of Lycoris squamagira 'Nekked Ladies'. One of the more unusual hardy, and to my knowledge, southern native Lycoris. I have planted others, but this is the only sort, so far, still here. 


Didn't do the math, yet.  Foolishly paid too much for this tomato plant. With 3 picked and a dozen ripe or ripening. The plastic tomato cage, it came with, was weighed down and fell over. But they are good, insecticide free and fresh.



Comments

  1. I love Goldstrum. We brought it from our previous home 17 years ago but I also almost lost it 2 years ago. Thankfully, a small patch is blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like tomatoes but my husband says there is nothing like a homegrown tomato.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Bogturtle's Garden- November 2023

Bogturtles Garden- October 2023

Bogturtle's Garden- February 2024